You deserve a custom defense with unparalleled client service. I want to help you fix the problem in front of you and get your life back on track.
austin juvenile defense attorney
Austin juvenile defense attorney Rick Cofer has extensive experience in Austin juvenile cases. Licensed to practice law in 2008, Rick has worked as a defense attorney and prosecutor, resolving thousands of cases and trying over one hundred cases to a judge or jury.
A graduate of the University of Texas at Austin and University of Texas School of Law, Rick Cofer was a defense attorney before serving over eight years as a Travis County Assistant County Attorney and Travis County Assistant District Attorney handling DWI, assault, family domestic violence, drugs, sex crimes, property crimes, juvenile charges and murder cases.
Rick Cofer has been admitted to the State Bar of Texas, U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas. He is a member of the Austin Bar Association and has served as Treasurer of the Criminal Law Section since 2014. Rick is also a member of the Texas Bar College, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association, and Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
Rick is active in the Austin Community serving on the board of directors of the KIND Clinic and Ending Community Homelessness Coalition (ECHO). He previously served as chair of the City of Austin Zero Waste Commission, vice chair of the City of Austin Parks & Recreation Board, and president of the Pease Park Conservancy Board of Directors.
- University of Texas School of Law, JD
- University of Texas at Austin, BA with Honors (Government and History)
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Temple Scholar, Normandy Scholar, LBJ Fellow
- Supreme Court of the United State of America
- Supreme Court of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas
- Austin Bar Association, Criminal Law Section Treasurer
- Austin Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Austin LGBT Bar Association
- Texas County and District Attorneys Association (2009-2018)
- Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Criminal Defense Attorney, Law Office of Rick Cofer, PLLC
- Assistant District Attorney, Travis County District Attorney’s Office
- Assistant County Attorney, Travis County Attorney’s Office
- Criminal Defense Attorney, Private Practice
- Secretary and Board Member, KIND Clinic Board of Directors
- Board Member and former Chair, Ending Community Homelessness Coalition (ECHO) Board of Directors
- Vice Chair and Member, City of Austin Parks & Recreation Board (2015-2019)
- President and Board Member, Pease Park Conservancy Board of Directors (2015-2018)
- Board Member, City of Austin South Central Waterfront Advisory Board (2018)
- Chair, City of Austin Aquatic Master Plan Task Force (2017-2018)
- Delegate, Austin AFL-CIO Central Labor Council (2009-2018)
- Member, Travis County Civil and Family Courthouse Citizen Advisory Committee (2016)
- Member, City of Austin Parkland Events Task Force (2015-2016)
- Chair, Vice Chair, and Commissioner, City of Austin Zero Waste Advisory Commission (2007-2015)
- Chair, City of Austin Recycling Ordinance Reform Committee (2009-2012)
- Founder and Chair, Austin Bag the Bags Coalition (2007-2012)
- Member, Salvage Vanguard Theater Board of Directors (2008-2010)