Attorney Rick Cofer
Rick Cofer is a criminal defense attorney based in Austin, Texas. Focused on criminal and juvenile law, Mr. Cofer obtained his license to practice law in 2008 and has worked in criminal justice for the last decade.
He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin where he earned his undergraduate degree in Government and History, with honors. He graduated with Phi Beta Kappa honors, being recognized as a Temple Scholar, Normandy Scholar, and Lyndon B. Johnson Fellow. He went on to earn his law degree at the University of Texas School of Law.
Mr. Cofer began his career as a Criminal Defense Attorney in private practice, after which he worked as an Assistant County Attorney and Assistant District Attorney at both the Travis County Attorney’s Office and the Travis County District Attorney’s Office. He is currently a Criminal Defense Attorney at his law firm, the Law Office of Rick Cofer, PLLC. He handles all types of criminal cases in state and local courts, including DWI, assault, family domestic violence, drugs, sex crimes, property crimes, juvenile charges, and serious felony offenses like homicide, robbery, burglary, and intoxication assault.
Rick served for over two years as the Travis County juvenile sex crimes prosecutor, handling complex and difficult juvenile charges like Aggravated Sexual Assault of a Child, Indecency with a Child by Conduct, Public Lewdness, Indecent Exposure, and possession of child pornography. Juvenile sex crime cases are particularly difficult and complicated as the child accused and the alleged victim of the offense are frequently family members or intimate partners. Rick Cofer has completed extensive continuing education in juvenile justice and is a member of the Juvenile Law Section of the State Bar of Texas.
Rick Cofer holds a number of professional licenses. These include licenses from the U.S. Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of Texas, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas. He is also a member of the Texas Bar College, an honorary society of lawyers.
- Board Secretary, The Kind Clinic, Texas Health Action Board of Directors
- Board Member and former Chair, Ending Community Homelessness Coalition (ECHO) Board of Directors
- Treasurer, Criminal Law Section of the Austin Bar Association
- Vice Chair, City of Austin Parks & Recreation Board (2015-2019)
- Board Member and former President, Pease Park Conservancy Board of Directors (2015-2018)
- Chair, City of Austin Aquatic Master Plan Task Force (2017-2018)
- Co-chair, City of Austin Parks & Recreation Recycling Task Force (2018)
- Board Member, City of Austin South Central Waterfront Advisory Board (2018)
- Delegate, Austin AFL-CIO Central Labor Council (2009-2018)
- Member, Travis County Civil and Family Courthouse Citizen Advisory Committee (2016)
- Member, City of Austin Parkland Events Task Force (2015-2016)
- Chair, Vice Chair, and Commissioner, City of Austin Zero Waste Advisory Commission (2007-2015)
- Chair, City of Austin Recycling Ordinance Reform Committee (2009-2012)
- Founder and Chair, Austin Bag the Bags Coalition (2007-2012)
- Member, Salvage Vanguard Theater Board of Directors (2008-2010)
- Member, Austin Community Education Consortium (2004-2007)